Pressure & Standing your Ground.

As a writer, you get these urges from time to time, where you just have to create something. Anything. For me, that could be: poetry, a blogpost, a song, a short story, a journal entry, a letter to a pen friend or simply notes on a piece of paper (that may not make sense in that moment; but may mean something to you in time). You know?

Often, as a professional writing student at college and a blogger in a wide community of talented individuals, it is a regular occurrence that I beat myself up about my ‘content’ and my work (or my words) not being as good as others.

The pressure of being good at everything is on us constantly. At college, I must write comedy scripts, radio scripts, dramas, poetry, short stories, journalistic essays, articles, conduct interviews and transcribe them, create cover letters and digital CV’S and so so so so much more; In the blogging community I must blog consistently, my photography is expected to be of a certain standard, you are expected to know all of the digital aspects of blogging and the stuff that goes on in the background to do with DA, affiliate links and all that jazz, you are brainwashed in to thinking that you should have a certain amount of followers, you must upkeep all of your social media platforms religiously and you are expected to always be the same… but we all have our down days. It’s only human. We are allowed to have a moan every now and again or tell people what has peeved us that day.

I don’t really know where I’m going with this…

I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Allow your personality to shine. Please don’t ever feel like you shouldn’t post something just because you don’t have a decent photograph to go with it or a catchy title (this post certainly has neither of these things).

My blog is a place I come to completely clear my mind; to open up and to have a bit of a ramble if I’m feeling like it. It is also a professional platform where I work with brands and publish some of my poetry and more serious work. And that’s OK. Each of these attributes are all part of me.

No matter how much criticism I receive for doing what I do: I won’t ever let it stop me.

Ever.

Love

FIND ME ON:

TWITTER

INSTAGRAM

FACEBOOK

YOUTUBE

SNAPCHAT: TheMcElhiester

EMAIL: charlenemcelhinney@icloud.com

1. February 14, 2017 / 9:44 pm

Love this post! I agree that you shouldn’t put too much pressure on yourself and compare yourself to others.

2. February 15, 2017 / 5:57 am

I lived by the rule to never compare yourself to others because you are made specially and you can’t be anybody else but you. Life is short and you need to fill with the things you love because one day when you’re gone, no one will live up to your dream. x

• February 15, 2017 / 12:40 pm

Such a lovely comment! Thank you for the words of wisdom – very true!!!

Thanks sweetheart!
      Love
      Charlene McElhinney xo

3. February 15, 2017 / 11:53 am

I have a passion for writing as well but sometimes it can’t be helped, writer’s block does exist and we shouldn’t force ourselves to write something just because. I find that taking breaks sometimes allows my brain to relax and creativity will flow naturally in time.

• February 15, 2017 / 12:41 pm

Very true! Writer’s block is horrible! Nothing worse than being stuck in a slump!

Love
      Charlene McElhinney x

4. February 15, 2017 / 12:15 pm

I think we all have those phases of loosing our mojo’s and feeling a bit lost, but then isn’t it great when you have the opposite and could spend hours typing away? You can’t have the good without the bad so don’t pressure yourself, you just need time 😇 I class you as one of my close friends now and I couldn’t be prouder of the ways you’ve handled different situations!
    Clo x

• February 15, 2017 / 12:41 pm

Thank you so much Clo! I count you as one of my close friends now too! You’re fab!

Lots of love
      Charlene x

5. Kayleigh Zara
    February 17, 2017 / 2:20 am

I understand this post so much, I always compare myself to other people and it leaves me in a state of feeling inadequate more often than not! I know you shouldn’t compare yourself but sometimes it’s really hard. Also writers block is the absolute worst, great post lovely x

6. StephsWorld
    February 19, 2017 / 11:53 am

Loved this post 🙂 You are amazing and should never compare yourself or put pressure on yourself 🙂

Steph xx

Steph’s World | Lifestyle Blog | http://www.stephsworld.com

7. February 19, 2017 / 8:49 pm

Putting pressure on yourself can be both a good and bad thing depending on how you work under pressure. However it can get to a point where it is too much and becomes a hinderance so you have to find that happy medium. Just keep doing you. (:

Single Vegas Girl

8. February 23, 2017 / 12:01 pm

Loved this post!
    Recently, I lost myself along the way trying to post often, stressing when I got writer’s block, trying to keep up on social media, etc. I just didn’t want to blog anymore, it was too much for me but after talking to a few bloggers and I found that I wasn’t the only one experiencing this and that I should take a step back and breathe.
    In this time, I realised my blog is mine, a little place for me to be me, to write what I like, unwind and just have fun. Since taking a step back and looking at it differently, I don’t feel pressured to post all the time on my blog, social media, etc. I’m not a full-time blogger, I have a family, job, etc, so I need to just chill and remember why I started blogging in the first place.
    We shouldn’t feel pressured, we should stand our ground and just do what’s best for us and that’s exactly what I’m doing now.

Thanks for sharing and sorry for rambling on haha.

Sabah || http://www.womanishaffairs.org

9. February 24, 2017 / 7:51 am

Your college course sounds super demanding, with having to write in so many different styles! I definitely agree that there’s a lot of pressure to be consistent and always positive on social media too, which isn’t always a good thing! The way I look at it is that even in nature, flowers don’t always bloom all year round, so you too need a break and it’s ok to have down days! 💓

Abbey ✨ http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk