Appreciation for the Postie

This is one of these spur-of-the-moment post ideas that randomly pop in to your head when you’re having a wee and you think to yourself, ‘ok, I most definitely have to write that post’. No? Just me?

Actually this isn’t even a post idea at all; I literally just had a moment of appreciation for my postman (whilst I was doing a wee, yes I know, don’t judge) and I came up with the title ‘Appreciation for the Postie’. I don’t know where I’m going with this post, or what I’m actually trying to say, but more often than not – these turn out to be the best kind of posts.

I know we live in a world where we don’t exchange letters as much as we used to (I sure as hell do though, I send at least 2 letters a day, beechat snail mail! HMU if you’re interested). However, think how much harder posties have it nowadays. We, as a society, do an insane amount of online shopping. And who makes sure these things arrive to you safe and soundly? The postie.

Your wee postmen and postwomen have to carry your items around in their bulky little satchels and trek around the streets until they reach your door. Hail, sleet or snow. I know it’s their job but I – for one – certainly make it that little bit harder with my online shopping habits. Then they get to folk’s doors, and the majority of the time people aren’t in or they don’t answer the door leaving poor little postie carrying extra items around with them for the rest of their round and they need to go through all of the hassle of writing you out a slip and popping it through the door. What a palaver. Poor postie.

If you’re lucky enough to have a prodigious postie like me then I feel genuinely over the moon for you; it makes life so much easier having a mutual understanding and decent (mundane) relationship with your postman or postwoman – especially if you’re a blogger and are receiving mail and deliveries on a regular basis. My postman and our family have a mutual understanding and agreement of some sort and he’ll know when our car isn’t there to resort to the safe place – meaning I don’t need to trek away up to the town post office to collect my goods (or if I’m the only one in and I’m in a shower I don’t need to run down, flapping, in the skud to answer the door all flustered and sodden trying to take the items whilst holding a towel round me at the same time…we’ve all been there).  He’s always good for a wee chinwag (not when I’m just out the shower, ha! I could have put this before I said that). We always get him a little xmas pressie. He’s always patient for us answering the door (’cause he knows we have an indoor cat and need to make sure he’s not around to sneak out). Awk, I have so much appreciation for my postman (hence the post).

Whenever my regular postman is away on holiday or off sick, I genuinely dread it, it’s such a sad time in my life. No exaggeration. No word of a lie. I feel like a lost soul. Jeezo, it’s starting to sound like the postman coming to my door is the highlight of my day, sometimes it is right enough.

When was the last time you actually appreciated your postie? Had a wee chat? Thanked them? Postmen and Postwomen are absolute gems and they definitely help the world go round. Don’t you think?

Ok I think I’m done. Until next time.

FIND ME ON:

Twitter

YouTube

Instagram

Facebook

Snapchat: TheMcElhiester

EMAIL: charlenemcelhinney@icloud.com

BUY MY BOOK.

1. November 8, 2017 / 5:43 pm

I don’t know if I’ve told you this but my Nick is a postman and not everyone is this kind to posties. I know from him just how much greive they get and reading this makes me very happy that there is someone appreciative of the postie. Because I am, I love my postman mainly because he is the man I’m planning to spend the rest of my with not for the free stamps. (FYI I was joking I do have to pay for my own stamps) haha! I love this post Charlene!

2. November 9, 2017 / 8:38 pm

I completely agree! Although sometimes he puts notes through the door to go and collect a package, even though we’re in the house and he doesn’t check!

I don’t see him that often as he comes while I’m at work :/

3. creativenailsuk
    November 9, 2017 / 8:40 pm

This is such a nice post! My parents always speak to the postman/postwoman – they always have done! It’s such a nice thing to do, and it must make their job a bit nicer to do with everything they have to go through! It does sound like a pretty hardworking job!

Amy,

4. November 9, 2017 / 8:42 pm

I’ve never thought about this before! I actually moan about mine a lot. Some days he shows up at 9:30 and the next day it’s 3pm and you can guarantee the 3pm days are days I’m expecting something food related and am getting a little hangry. Or exciting delivery days. But now I come to think of it he is pretty good at some things, he knows exactly where to leave stuff so he never has to knock, which I greatly appreciate when I have wet hair and a half done face x

Sophie

5. November 9, 2017 / 8:54 pm

Sounds like you have a great postman! I would love to have a pen pal to write actual letters to!

Sarah
    Sarahhilkemeijer.wordpress.com

6. November 9, 2017 / 9:27 pm

Awww I love this! Imagine the chaos if everyone had to collect their letters / parcels. A very random but great post!

7. November 11, 2017 / 9:54 am

Staring at my window awaiting delivery. Postman pulls up. He goes to the other houses first, returns to his van, picks up a larger package, proceeds to my door. And before he can ring, there I am. Thank you Mr Postman. You are needed.

8. November 14, 2017 / 1:44 pm

Unfortunately I don’t know my postman/postwomen personally but I wish I did. However I do 100% appreciate my postie! I get so over thrilled when a letter gets posted through my door!

Tabitha x

9. November 14, 2017 / 5:15 pm

I have so much love for my postie, I have a rather attractive postie that occasionally does our round but our regular is an older boy who looks like a biker haha, he’s usually a bit grumpy but I always try & cheer him up 🙂 x x
    Ellis // http://www.elliswoolley.co.uk

10. November 15, 2017 / 7:52 pm

Awwww Charlene this is a prime example of why I love your blog! I never know what you’re going to post next so reading it always brings me a lovely surprise! You won’t be surprised to hear that as a big snail mail lover, I’m also a big fan of my postie! Getting a letter in my little box at uni is a highlight for me!

Abbey 💋 http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk