Things I used to do every day before secondary school

I thought I’d write a fun and light-hearted post for you all since some of my subjects have been pretty vehement and intense as of late; so I thought let’s talk about some of the things I used to do religiously every day before setting off for high school.

Lining up 10 mascaras on the radiator. Anyone?

I used to have this theory that if you put your mascara on top of the radiator for a few minutes before using it, it would work better, and I didn’t just do this with one mascara: I did it with ten. I’m sure I spent a good while parading around looking like I had spider legs for lashes but hey, it was pretty creative, and nobody ever said anything so it must have not been all that bad.

Checking for holes in my tights. If you know, you know.

I went through tights like I went through loo roll when I was at school; I was forever getting holes in my tights and thus resulting in me going on a weekly shopping trip to Tesco or Primarni to stock up on the ol’ hosiery. It didn’t help that my legs were often too long for the tables and would constantly get caught, and I just knew before I looked down that there was going to be a great big hole or a ladder. Or the dreaded stairs, the person in front of you would have a splendid sightly sequin bag, and that was all well and good but they would always catch your tights and boom. Another hole. Another ladder. Another one bites the dust.

Getting up at crazy O’ clock just to wash my hair on the daily. What was I thinking?

At school, appearance was everything, I can’t imagine the pressure kids are under nowadays when attending schools with all youngsters mastering fashion through their favourite influencers and being self-taught MUAs… sack that, imagine non-uniform days, and I thought I had it hard! Seriously though, I used to have this obsession with NOT having greasy hair at school, it had to be fluffy and fresh every single day. Washing it the night before just wasn’t good enough. I’d get up at 6am some morning just to shower, blow-dry and straighten my hair. Goodness, I was off my head, I very seldom do that once every two weeks nowadays. Think of all of the hours I could have saved in bed.

Watch an episode of Spongebob Squarepants. Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

My brother, my dad and I would all watch an episode of Spongebob Squarepants together every morning before school; my dad would make us toast and tea and we would sit by the TV and watch the same old episodes on repeat. Maybe that’s what everyone needs to start the day off with, it used to really set me up for the day, I swear. Even the theme tune alone was enough to do it for ya.

Write in my journal. I didn’t buy the yearbook in my final year because there was no need.

I wrote in my journal daily when I went to school; every day before and every day after when I’d arrive home with a head full of gossip and high-school happenings. I never held back. It makes for a much more interesting read than the year book that everyone paid about twenty quid for.

There was loads of things I did regularly every day before school that I reminisce on fondly and try hard to remember every detail but more often than not the memories slip away so soundly. If you don’t cling on to them you find yourself struggling to remember the little things. That’s a positive about keeping a journal, you can always reflect, or writing posts like these and thinking back to the simpler times. The only thing you would be worrying about is whether the heating was on or not as you needed to melt your mascaras or if it was that annoying episode of Spongebob where Plankton gets close to stealing the Krabby Patty formula.

Life seems so complicated nowadays. Sigh.

Does anyone else want to share some fond memories of getting up and ready for the day ahead at high school? I’d love to hear some tales.

Until next time,

1. October 2, 2018 / 7:37 pm

I loved reading this.

I used to see my best friend at school every day, but despite this we would write each other a letter every evening to swap the next morning. It would be about anything we hadn’t had chance to talk about in the day. Sometimes we would draw silly cartoons and things as well. This was the 80s, so no text messages! She’s still my best friend today ☺️

2. October 2, 2018 / 7:41 pm

I always made sure I had time to fit in whatever tv show I watched and get a quick round on msn…to chat to the friends I was literally about to see 😂

3. October 2, 2018 / 8:24 pm

I hated high school but I can totally relate to the ripping of the tights, my mum ‘threatened’ me with going to school with bare legs for winter if I ripped another pair that month! Not sure how I managed to rip a pair on the daily but I ended up just accepting it and turning it in to a style.

4. tara xox
    October 2, 2018 / 8:50 pm

I relate to the tights situation on a personal level 🙄👍Always holes in my tights. So annoying

5. Victoria Austin
    October 2, 2018 / 9:57 pm

I didn’t really have a routine for secondary school except get up and ready to get there, it wasn’t the local school so I’d get dropped off every day… really the amount of times I’d saunter into the assembly hall late! Wearing my hair up was a must if I hadn’t washed it the night before (or in the morning) though. x

6. October 3, 2018 / 12:36 am

Hi Charlene! OMG I love this blog post! I must say that when I was still in school, I never leave the house without so much as lipgloss and my favorite books! I always wash my hair with conditioner too (which I don’t do now haha) xx

7. Kim
    October 8, 2018 / 11:54 am

I loved reading this! My friend and I used to exchange notes I class and write letters to esch other to read the next day.

8. October 8, 2018 / 8:27 pm

Charlene this post was so fun! when I think back on some of the things I did before high school I’m like, “whoa what were you thinking?!” 😂 Breakfast I used to only eat two slices of toast with butter and jelly. For my makeup, I put concealer everywhere but my forehead it looked really funny. For my jewelry, I wore like 8 rings, two double chokers and one long necklace, it was not cohesive at all 😂.

Natonya | http://www.justnatonya.wordpress.com

9. October 9, 2018 / 4:28 pm

This was a fun little post, and I can definitely identify with the tights situation – they were always so useless and ripped! I never had a routine for High School, often I would wake up late and have to rush to get ready. It doesn’t help that I hated the set I was in so I spent most mornings trying to motivate myself to go.

Jess xx

littlepinkduckblog.blogspot.co.uk

10. October 13, 2018 / 5:54 pm

I use to line up my stationery I’d use the night before.. but I love the mascara theory. Besides, I’m pretty sure it works!

11. October 15, 2018 / 8:46 am

You seem like you had yourself soooo together in high school! I was lucky if I could force myself out of bed with more than 10 minutes to get ready and out the door 😂 but honestly, I did spend most of my nights up until 4am on my laptop/Tumblr 🙄 I had completely thought that putting on 2-3 mascaras every day used to be the norm for me, too! I think everyone was obsessed with those spider leg lashes back then 😂

Beka | http://www.bekadaisies.com